Kidney Stones Facts
Important facts on kidney stones include:
- Most stones will pass out of the body without medical care.
- You should see your doctor if you have possible symptoms of kidney stones.
- Drink plenty of water to keep more stones from forming.
- People who have a family history of kidney stones or who have had more than one stone are likely to develop more stones.
- If a person is at risk for developing kidney stones, doctors may perform certain blood and urine tests. These tests can determine which factors can be best altered to reduce that risk.
- Some patients will need medicines to prevent stones from forming.
- People with chronic urinary tract infections and kidney stones often need to have problem stones removed. People in this situation should receive careful follow-up care to be sure the infection has cleared.